What is an Exercise Physiologist?
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are the most highly qualified exercise professionals in Australia. They are university qualified professionals who specialise in the prescription and delivery of clinical exercise and lifestyle modification programs. They possess the knowledge, skills and competency to work with people with chronic and complex diseases, people with injuries, and healthy people who want to get stronger/fitter/healthier.
AEPs must adhere to strict criteria in order to maintain accreditation and stay up to date with the current research in the field.
Exercise physiology services are eligible for various rebates including those from private health funds, Medicare (GP referred Chronic Disease Management Plan), WorkCover, DVA and TAC.
How Our AEPs Differ From Other Exercise/Allied Health Professionals
- Unlike personal trainers we are postgraduate qualified exercise specialists. In addition to being able to deliver fitness, strength and conditioning sessions, we have knowledge in areas of musculoskeletal, neurological and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation. This means that we are well equipped to work with all presentations.
- We use “active” interventions like exercise, movement, strength, stability and mobility to help you achieve your goals. We do not use any “passive” treatments such as hands-on manual therapy, ultrasound, laser, or electrical stimulation.
- We work beyond the acute stages of rehabilitation. In conjunction with a diagnosis and acute treatment and/or manual therapy from a physiotherapist/ osteopath/ myotherapist, we can progress you to full function and beyond by strengthening and stabilising specific areas with exercise.
How we can help you
After a comprehensive initial assessment, we take you through personalised exercise to achieve your goals.
Exercise Physiology will benefit you if…
- You know you should be exercising but don't know where to start
- You are already training but have plateaued and need more guidance to reach your health and fitness goals
- You need expert guidance with injury rehabilitation and want to return to full function, stronger than ever before
- You currently lead a sedentary lifestyle and are at risk of developing a chronic disease
- You have already been diagnosed with a medical condition or chronic disease and want to be more in control of your life
- You have aches and pains in your body that have lasted for more than 2 months
- You need help setting realistic and achievable goals
- You need accountability, support and motivation to facilitate your long term success
Why choose us?
1. Our caring, individualised approach to exercise
- We offer a personalised exercise design – one size does not fit all.
- We really listen, pay attention and figure out the best approach to help you achieve your goals.
- We offer responsive out-of-session email & phone support.
2. Our expertise
- We have experience catering for all levels of fitness and physical capacity
- We deliver programs that are based on scientific principles, and refined for real-world results
- We are all Accredited Exercise Physiologists with postgraduate Master’s degrees
3. Peace of mind
- Know that you are not wasting your valuable time with training sessions that are not optimal and are doing you harm. Our programs maximise training efficiency and benefits whilst decreasing injury risk.
4. Availability that suits you
- We can accommodate appointments from 6:30am – 9pm, Monday to Saturday. You can book an appointment at a time that suits your lifestyle.
5. World class facilities
- You will have access to a private training studio, as well as a comprehensively equipped two-storey strength and conditioning complex. This means that we can progress you from dealing with an injury, all the way up to a full strength and conditioning program if needed.
Please contact us to enquire about how we can best help you.
“Before I started training at Optimal Health, I hadn't even heard about exercise physiologists. I used to train with regular trainers, which was ok, but I am now so thrilled to have made this transition…The best way I can describe training with an exercise physiologist is as 'smart training'. Sam not only finds the best exercises to suit my needs, but also makes sure I get the most benefits in an efficient way…The benefits are evident, not only do I have less back issues, but I also feel much healthier and stronger.”